Delve into the heart of Kashmiri culinary traditions with Hamiast’s Al Hach, the sun-dried Bottle Gourd cherished throughout the region. In a land where winters cloak the landscape in white, the practice of drying vegetables is not just a means of preservation but a craft passed down through generations. Al Hach is a testament to this enduring tradition, offering a taste that is as unique as the culture it comes from.
Our Al Hach is meticulously sun-dried, capturing the essence of Kashmiri sunshine and infusing it into every morsel. The dehydration process concentrates the flavors, resulting in a dried vegetable that enhances any dish it graces. Revered for its versatility, Al Hach can be seamlessly integrated into a myriad of recipes, from comforting dals to hearty meat dishes, adding a depth of flavor that is unparalleled.
Hamiast’s Al Hach is not only a culinary staple but also a bridge to Kashmir’s storied gastronomic history. It is a winter delicacy that evokes the spirit of resilience and ingenuity of the Kashmiri people. Whether simmered with pulses or married with spices in traditional recipes, Al Hach imparts a distinctive taste that is both nourishing and delightful.
Suggested Recipe: Transform your cooking with our sun-dried Al Hach and red lentils. This simple yet flavorful recipe is a perfect starting point for beginners eager to explore the richness of Kashmiri dried vegetables. Follow our step-by-step guide to recreate a classic Kashmiri dish that promises warmth and satisfaction with every spoonful.
Al Hach with Red Lentils Recipe:
- 15-20 strips of Hamiast’s Al Hach (Dried Bottle Gourd)
- 2 cups red lentils (Masoor Dal)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1 lemon
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- Black cardamom – 1 (crushed)
- Water as needed
- Cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Begin by thoroughly cleaning the Al Hach. Rub the dried gourd pieces with hot water to remove any dust, then wash and set aside.
- Rinse the red lentils and keep them ready for cooking.
- Boil water in a kettle, place the Al Hach in a bowl, and cover with the hot water. Let it soak for about 30 minutes to rehydrate.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil over medium flame. Add crushed black cardamom and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the chopped onions to the cooker and fry until they turn a soft pink hue.
- Introduce the tomatoes to the mix, cooking until they soften and the oil starts to separate.
- Stir in the ginger-garlic paste, followed by the chili and turmeric powders, cooking the spices until aromatic.
- To this fragrant base, add the pre-soaked Al Hach and red lentils, giving everything a good stir to combine.
- Pour in enough water to cover the ingredients and close the pressure cooker lid.
- Cook until the lentils are tender and the Al Hach is perfectly rehydrated.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and a squeeze of lemon juice to brighten the flavors.
- Serve hot alongside fluffy cooked rice for a comforting and traditional Kashmiri meal.
Embrace the art of Kashmiri cooking with Hamiast’s Al Hach, a versatile and delightful ingredient that will elevate your culinary creations and warm your soul.